Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Jury Duty

I got a summons to be "considered" for jury duty. I had to fill out this survey and also send them a list of vacations plans and doctor appointments for the NEXT 2 MONTHS! So, I did. And I let them also know that I am breastfeeding an infant and she needs to eat every 3-4 hours (& so far it looks like I'll have to come back at lunchtime to feed her when I go back to work -- good thing I work relatively close.) So, maybe she will be my ticket out of jury duty.

It seems like every county does it differently. The way they do it here is that it is a 2-month appointment (if you qualify, hopefully I won't - I really have no desire to do jury duty, but my appoinment would be September - October.) But you don't have to report to the courthouse unless they call you and they will call you 2-3 days in advance.

There isn't any interesting cases coming up that I know of (it's hard not to stay on top of things in this area.) The big things were these chiropractors that did bad things to their clients. Two separate chiropractors working independently. One of those is already in jail (but gets ot daily for work release - last I heard he was managing a massage office in the Cities - who the hell lets someone who lost his chirporactic license & is in jail for the bad things he did manage a massage clinic?) The other one is currently in court. There was a couple of other people who did bad things to kids that happened around the same time as that last chiropractor, but I think they were both in neighboring counties or maybe they admitted their guilt and they didn't need a trial by jury (which if I recall, I think that is what happened.) Historically, ther ehave not been a lot of jury trials in our area. Seems like once people get busted here they plead guilty and just have court, no trial.

So, I guess we'll see what happens for me & jury duty.

No comments: