Thursday, August 19, 2004

Yucky Water.

I read this article in this magazine called "Organic Stlye". The polled 712 different water utilities and then listed the top 25 worst places for tap water. Of course all 712 places polled were in major cities, so those of us having decided to make rural town or susberb our home are out of luck.

Now, as I read this I couldn't help but think about when we lived in Mpls and decided rather quickly to buy bottled water - the tap water there tasted like crap. So, where does Mpls rank? NO. 6! There are 35 contaminents in the water with the primary concerns of lead, copper, radioactivity, bacteria, and disinfection byproducts.

We kept buying water even after we moved from Mpls, and then moved again. We will continue to buy water. It is a federal law that each year in July, your water utilities are supposed to mail reports to all of their customers (to your landlord if you rent). Click on the title to see if your report is listed online.

Other rankings for my friends in other places (or livED in other places):
Santa Fe - 20
Albuquerque - 16
Philadelphia - 13
Orlando - 4
Las Vegas - 18
Boston - 17

The only places with worse water than Mpls are: Eugene, OR; Detroit, MI; Memphis, TN; Orlando, FL; & Burlington, VT.

I know we get our statement about the yucky water here. We have a lot of copper in the water. But the letter they send us is so filled with big words and BS that you don't think that there is anything wrong.

I think I'll just keep buying my bottled water. Plus with the cooler, I have hot & cold water at the push of a level (so I can still be lazy).

No comments: