Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Work in Progress

I often think that someday I might like to write a book and sometimes the type of book varies, although I know I would want to write about something that I am interested in and would normally read myself. Some of my favorite books are memoirs or books written by a therapist or psychiatrist about their crazy-ass patients. I don't know that my life is necessarily interesting enough to write about, nor am I famous enough for someone to care about the little details of my life that has made me -- me. So - I guess that leaves me to write about crazy people.

Now - I am sorry if I offended people for using the word crazy, but this is my blog and sometimes I just get fed up with having to be all PC about things. But when I talk about crazy, I don't mean the average 'ole depressed person or the normally anxious individual or the ever-popular ADHD boy - I'm talking about the ones that see things you & I don't see.

My inspiration comes from a person I spent much of my day today with - we'll call him Keith, as I have never worked with a Keith and that way I can protect identity & keep confidentiality. Someone mentioned to me that he may make an interesting case study for someone. It could make for a very interesting story, but I need to wait until I move from the area just so people are protected. And who knows, sometimes the really interesting cases don't necessarily stay around long enough themselves to be a case study. So - for now he is a work in progess. And someday I will write my book and make millions and retire early & comfortably in Costa Rica.

So, until the release of my book, here are a couple that I have read & enjoyed:
* Welcome to My Country by Lauren Slater (working with schizophrenics)
* Invisible Masters by George Weinberg (working with obsessive-compulsive disorders)
* Love's Executioners by Irvin Yalom (10 different stories)
* Every Day Gets A Little Closer by Irvin Yalom & Ginny Elkin (accounts from doctor & schizophrenic patient)
* Letters to a Young Therapist by Mary Pipher (just what it sounds)
* Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel (memoir regarding her depression)
* I Never Told Anyone by Ellen Bass (stories from sexual abuse survivors)
* An Unquiet Mind by Kay Jamison (memoir of her bipolar illness)

And my recent purchases (have yet to read them) are:
* News from the Border by Jane McDonnell (about her own autistic son)
* Borderlines:A Memoir by Caroline Kraus (title explains it)
* Necessary Dreams: Ambition in Changing Women's Lives by Anna Fels (one psychiatrist's own study)

6 comments:

Alison said...

I want to write a book some day too. It's probably going to be something silly like chick lit with exaggerated true stories about people I know. I'll have to change the names and stories just enough that people can't sue me for writing about how they sat naked under a tree (indian style) and sang while intoxicated.

Cattiva said...

I wonder how many people are writing about bloggers. It's such a phenomema that I am betting lots of people are working on it.

Lame Shrill Owl said...

Dipped: You have already grabbed my attention with your book. I would like to read that someday.

Cattiva: I have read newspaper articles about bloggers, but I think it needs to catch on a little bit more. So many people have no clue what a blog is. Although if someone were to write a book on it and they were the first one, they might be able to make a lot of money

wontonfoey said...

What is your j-o-b in the schools? Are you a psycologist or special ed teacher?

I'm crazy and I don't mind the label. :) I really hate that "they" changed manic/depression to bi-polar...its confusing to laypeople. Being manic is like being a maniac..no need to sell me a sweet version of an ugly fucking illness.

I don't actually like Kay Jamison's books. I think she makes manic/depression romantic, its isolating and potentially fatal. Its a serious topic that I think she glosses over with "suscess" stories.

Lame Shrill Owl said...

I am a mental health therapist within a day treatment program. I do 3 group therapy sessions daily and about 6-7 individual sessions daily. I have around 30 on my caseload.

wontonfoey said...

Yikes! Don't envy your caseload at all. At least you are there...there are so many people in need of services who don't get them, its really awful. Here in Arizona there is a huge scandal about mental health and selling the contracts to the lowest bidder. The patients really suffered. I'm very lucky in that my family was here to help me in my time of crisis and that I'm very high functioning. But, the system is entirely overloaded...probably nationwide. I see my Nurse Practioner every six weeks, but often her office cancels.