Sunday, January 02, 2005

8 Weeks to Optimum Health

I am in the process of reading 8 Weeks to Optimum Health by Dr. Andrew Weil. A lot of the stuff I already do, but some of it I do not do as frequent as he recommends. So, I thought weekly I would post his recommendations (for the 8 weeks) in case someone wants to follow along or are curious. Although, I suggest buying the book. It is very good and very informative.

So, for week one these are the recommendations and what I will try to do:
Diet: Broccoli 2x, Salmon 1x
Supplements: Vit. C (1000-2000 mg)
Exercise: 10 min. walk (5x/wk.)
Mental/Spiritual: list of illness/injuries recovered from past 2 years, Breath Observation (5min/day), Buy Flowers
Project: Throw out oils, artificial sweetners, artif. Colored, Buy olive oil, canola oil & seasame oil

In case someone is going to do this as well, I will list all the supplements needed, as if you are buying them it is easier to buy them at all once than order them separately:
Vitamin C
Mixed Carotenes
Vitamin E
Selenium

The back of the book has different recommendation for specific populations (over 50, over 70, under 20, men, women, pregnant or considering pregnancy in the future, parents of young children, living in big cities, travel often, overweight, cardiovascular disease risk, & cancer risk). So, you really need to read the book to find out what you need if you are one of those. My specific populations include women & considering pregnancy, so these are the supplements I need to add to the above:
Calcium
Magnesium
Folic Acid
Floride (possibly, need to talk to my dentist, as we only drink bottled water)

I already take an E, Folic Acid, & a Multi.

No comments: